Work with the Environmental Education Outreach Coordinator and other Plantations staff to implement an environmental education outreach program. Plantations’ EnvironmentalEducation program focused around a “Sustainable Backyard” garden at Plantations and it is the lens through which environmental education themes are taught primarily to teen-aged youth but also to Cornell students and the general public. The program consists of daily gardening and hands-on activities, weekly field trips, community projects and discussions
with teens about environmental topics.
Activities may include:
- Researching and designing educational discussions or activities around the weekly themes of the Plantations Environmental Education Program for Sustainability.
- Preparation and coordination for daily activities.
- Assistance and participation in daily activities, including outdoor projects such as gardening, nature hikes, hands-on plant-based activities, discussion groups, community outreach and other scheduled activities.
- Work directly with and provide support to teen students in the program.
- Provide mentorship and support for teen students’ roles as leaders.
- Work in the gardening site associated with this program.
- Participate in regular nature hikes and other activities associated with environmental interpretation.
- Collaborate and coordinate with Plantations Staff, Cornell University staff and graduate students.
- Participate in the delivery of tours or other activities directed at teens
- Participate in weekly group intern activities as scheduled
- Maintain a portfolio of work that will be shared with all staff on the last official day of the internship.
- May include developing and administering evaluation of program
- Assist with other education initiatives and activities.
- Ability to commit to the entire internship period,
- Currently enrolled or accepted Cornell University student,
- Plant science and/or education background,
- Good communication, writing, design, and computer skills,
- Interest in working with teen aged youth and interacting with many different audience groups
- Work various weekend events throughout the summer,
- Participate in weekly group intern activities as scheduled, and
- Must have a valid driver’s license and 2-3 years driving experience.
This is a full-time internship (39 hrs./week). Must be able to work Saturday of Reunion Weekend.