Learn how to engage a youth audience in the fascinating world of plants and help plan
all aspects of a plant-themed event for a family audience.
Duties and Responsibilities
Work with a volunteer committee and the youth education coordinator to plan and develop
the family event called Judy's Day. This four-hour event attracts over 1,700 attendees,
involving over 50 exhibitor booths, and hundreds of volunteers. Click here to learn more.
- Work directly with children, leading programs in the garden
- Design and present activities at local festivals and fairs
- Test activities with youth at summer camps, etc.
- Investigate other area museum outreach activities
- Maintain a portfolio of work that will be shared with all staff on the last official day of the internship, Farewell Friday. Final portfolio submitted after Judy's Day.
- Ability to commit to the entire internship period including extension into fall,
- Must have a valid driver’s license,
- Currently enrolled Cornell student, undergraduate or graduate; students graduating in May are also eligible,
- Skills in organizing and event planning,
- Food Science, Plant science and/or education background,
- Good communication, writing, design, and computer skills,
- Interest in teaching children,
- Work part time through the month of September in the Fall semester and work various weekend events throughout the summer,
- Participate in weekly group intern activities as scheduled,
- This is a full-time internship (39 hrs./week)
This is a full-time, summer-long internship. Typical work hours are Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.