National Public Gardens Day
Friday, May 10
Come celebrate National Public Gardens Day at Cornell Plantations, and discover Ithaca’s very own public garden. You can start the day with a morning bird walk in the Mundy Wildflower Garden, offered as part of the ongoing “Birds and Blossoms” series of bird walks and wildflower walks in partnership with the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology. At 11:00 a.m., meet at the Brian C. Nevin Welcome Center for a guided “highlights” tour of the botanical gardens and see what’s blooming. Then at 2:00 p.m. (also starting from the Nevin Center), enjoy a wildflower walk through the Mundy Wildflower Garden.
The Welcome Center will be open from 9:30 to 5:00 p.m. Free Gimme! coffee will also be available in the Welcome Center. The gardens and grounds are yours to explore on your own from dawn until dusk. Admission is free; however, there is a fee for parking at the Welcome Center from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. (Parking is free at the Mundy Wildflower Garden.)
- 8:00 a.m.: Morning Bird Walk – Mundy Wildflower Garden (parking area at Caldwell Road & Forest Home Drive)
- 11:00 a.m.: Botanical Garden Tour (Nevin Welcome Center)
- 2:00 p.m.: Wildflower Walk -- Mundy Wildflower Garden (Nevin Welcome Center)
- 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Exhibition in the Nevin Welcome Center: Plant Medicine and Myths of the Ancient Western World, by Pamela Shade. Opening Reception from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.:Free Gimme! Coffee in the Welcome Center
- 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.: Opening reception for Plant Medicine and Myths of the Ancient World.
For more information about National Public Gardens Day, please visit cornellplantations.org and nationalpublicgardensday.org.